Travel; what is it about that word that conjures up a whole vista of possibilities? Could you imagine what your life would be like without travel? Is it possible to not travel? Whatever you do and whatever your reason, travelling is a part of most people’s lives.
For centuries now people have been travelling, not just locally, but right around the world. The reasons over the centuries have been different and yet remain the same, just in a different context. Our forefathers travelled. Ancient civilizations travelled. New world’s were discovered, different civilizations and different cultures. Their reasons for travel were vastly different and yet remain the same; to explore and conquer. We all travel in one way or another.
There are different reasons why people travel:
1) Many people travel because they want to see their families and friends, whether they live near or far. Invitations from families and friends, for weddings, birthdays, or any other form of celebration are a good reason to pack your bags and travel.
2) Some people may travel seeking love, because they want to find their soul mates, believing that there is only one person for them and if they haven’t had much luck in their area, perhaps they will be luckier elsewhere. With millions of people around the world, there is a possibility they could find love in some other place.
3) People travel to seek employment, perhaps having been unlucky nearer to home, possibly because they want to have a different experience e.g. volunteering. Admittedly work may be hard to come by in your hometown or country and so some people decide to work abroad because they are looking for greener pastures. They could earn more money abroad or perhaps their expertise is not favourable where they currently reside.
4) People travel because they want to learn about other cultures, to experience the differences between their’s and other cultures. They travel and learn because for them learning while travelling is fun. One very popular reason for travelling to another country is to enjoy and learn about the food.
5) People travel because they enjoy writing. They want to share relevant information about the places they visit, write articles for their readers or find information for a novel perhaps. There is a whole industry based just on travel writing.
6) People travel because they want to explore the landscape of different countries, take photographs as souvenirs or for commercial purposes.
7) Many businessmen travel to promote or extend a current business, or start up a new business in other countries for expansion to increase their profit margins. Business is nothing without profit.
8) And today, more and more people are travelling for pleasure, on vacation to exotic places. Baby Boomers are currently the driving force behind the travel industry. Born between 1946 and 1964, many of these people are now retired or coming up to retirement. They’ve worked hard all their lives, invested sensibly and now they want to make the most of their later years, enjoy different experiences, see different countries and perhaps even relocate to warmer climes.